Singing lessons for all age groups and abilities
Singing is a wonderfully enriching and enjoyable pastime, whether you’re looking to sing purely for pleasure or to make it your career. I’m a full-time, professional, female vocalist with more than 25 years’ performance experience and I offer private, one-to-one singing lessons to singers of all ages and abilities.
Are you completely new to singing and looking for someone to help get you started? Maybe you’re returning to singing after a break and are looking to set yourself a new challenge? Or perhaps you’re a more experienced singer who would like some support in preparing for a specific goal such as an upcoming audition, examination or public performance?
Whatever your goals, I’d love to help you reach them. My sessions are held in a comfortable and well-equipped teaching studio in my home in Bedford and are available on weekdays, evenings and weekends to suit you.
If you’re looking for a friendly, supportive and highly experienced singing teacher to help you on your musical journey, then please get in touch to book your first session.
ONLINE SINGING LESSONS
I currently offer online singing lessons using the video conferencing platform Zoom. It’s quick and easy to set up your free Zoom account (and I’m also really happy to help if you need any advice.)
I also have some useful tips to help you get the best out of your online singing lessons experience – including how to get the best internet connection, how to adjust your audio settings and how to best use backing tracks in our sessions.
I’m a classically trained singer, jazz vocalist and contemporary commercial music performer with more than 25 years’ professional experience. My qualifications include a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Performer’s Certificate in Singing from Trinity College of London and am DBS verified.
I also have experience in the Estill Model – a system of voice training that helps to explain practical singing techniques in a simple and accessible way.
I teach a wide variety of popular modern musical styles – predominantly focused on contemporary commercial music (jazz, pop, blues, soul, country, folk and rock) and Musical Theatre.
I offer one-to-one singing sessions from my home studio in Bedford which is conveniently located just 35-minutes by train from Central London, approx. 25-minutes by car from Milton Keynes and approx. 30-minutes by car from Cambridge.
I teach Monday to Friday, between 11.00am and 7.00pm, and on Saturdays and Sundays between 11am and 4pm (subject to availability.) Lessons can range in length from 30-minutes to 1hr depending on your needs.
For younger children a 30-minute session is usually ample – while teenagers and adults generally get most benefit out of an hour-long lesson.
I can also offer longer sessions for students who are looking to consolidate their skills or to prepare for a specific project such as an audition or exam. Group lessons are also available on request.
How often you’d like to come for singing lessons is entirely up to you. Many of my students opt for a regular weekly slot. Others prefer to book singing lessons fortnightly or monthly to fit around their other commitments. I offer discounted fees for block bookings of three or more lessons.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Each lesson will be tailored to your individual needs, however, there are several key elements that will usually be covered:
1. Warming up your voice using a variety of practical, useful and enjoyable singing exercises that focus on pitch accuracy, range, tone, breath control and vocal agility
2. Repertoire – I may suggest a song that I believe offers something especially useful for your vocal development – or you may have a particular song that you’d like to work on
3. Performance skills – exploring how you can communicate thought, emotion and artistry through your singing
AUDITIONS, EXAMINATIONS & PERFORMANCES
I’ve assisted many students in their preparations for musical theatre, drama school and performing arts auditions – with previous students having successfully gained places at LAMDA, Italia Conti, Urdang Academy, Laine, the National Youth Theatre and the Institute for Contemporary Theatre.
I also work with professional actors who are looking to hone their singing technique. If you are interested in sitting a singing examination, I offer tuition in the Trinity Rock and Pop syllabus and LCM Music Theatre Exams and Diplomas.
Pretty much all styles of contemporary music will require the use of a microphone at some point – whether for live performances or recording sessions – so it’s great to get as confident and familiar as you can with this essential musical tool.
Singing through a microphone is a great way to explore the finer details of your singing technique, including voice production, diction, dynamics and breath control.
I can provide the use of a Shure Beta 58 microphone or Rode Condenser Mic for our in-person lessons – or you can bring your own microphone if you prefer.
I’ve sung for pretty much all of my life and I feel hugely privileged to have been able to make it my career. I first learnt to sing at the age of two, encouraged both by my Grandma, who was a singing teacher and by my Mum who has a beautiful soprano singing voice.
When I was four years old, I took part in a local performing arts festival in Cambridge, NZ. Mum and I sang a duet together – and won our class – while my Grandma also came first in her section. I still treasure the newspaper clipping of me and my Grandma holding our trophies!
For as long as I can remember, singing has been a continuous and enriching thread throughout my life – from performing in close harmony madrigal groups at school, to belting out Pat Benatar covers in a rock band in my teens, and discovering the rich world of jazz music in my 20s.
In January 2000 my musical journey took an exciting turn when I met an English saxophonist called Lynden.
I was singing with a jazz guitarist in the Blue Note jazz club in Christchurch, NZ – and Lynden, who was on holiday from the UK, had gone out that night to look for some local live music.
He also happened to have his saxophone with him and so I invited him to jump up and play a couple of numbers. Our connection was instantaneous – and we’ve been together ever since.
Lynden and I both feel extremely blessed to be able to make our full-time living as professional musicians and music teachers.
Our son is also carrying on the family tradition and is a talented pianist. He’ll play you a mean version of Mister Blue Sky if you ask him!
- 30-minutes – £20 per lesson (or three lessons paid in advance for £55)
- 45-minutes – £25 per lesson (or three lessons paid in advance for £70)
- 1-hour – £30 per lesson (or three lessons paid in advance for £80)
- 2-hours – £60 per lesson (or three lessons paid in advance for £165)
- Gift Vouchers
- Book a singing lesson as a gift for that special someone
- Online lessons also available via Zoom
- Parking – free parking is available on the street on Goldington Green
- Payment – payment can be made in advance (or on the day) by online banking, Paypal or in cash.
- Accompaniment – I provide a simple piano accompaniment for vocal warmups but mostly use backing tracks when working on songs.
- Backing Tracks – I have an extensive library of backing tracks that you can use in our lessons. I can also offer advice on how to source your own tracks.
- Sheet Music – I have a substantial library of music books and sheet music and can also point you in the direction of websites where you can purchase your own.
- Cancellation – If you need to cancel your lesson less than 24 hours prior to your appointment then the full fee will be payable. Whenever possible I will offer you an alternative lesson slot within the same week.
“Andrea inspires confidence and really brings out the best in me.”